October 20, 2015
New AODA Compliance Obligations Come Into Effect January 1, 2016
The next wave of obligations for private sector organizations under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (the “AODA”) roll out in a couple of months. Highlights of the obligations which take effect January 1, 2016 include:
Small Private Sector Organizations (1 to 49 employees)
- Provide training on the Integrated Accessibility Standard and the Human Rights Code to employees, volunteers, persons who participate in developing the organization’s policies, and persons who provide goods, services or facilities on behalf of the organization
- Ensure existing processes for receiving and responding to feedback are accessible to persons with disabilities
Large Private Sector Organizations (50+ employees)
- On request, make certain information available in accessible formats / with communication supports, including information required by employees to perform their job, and information generally available in the workplace
- Make certain information about accommodations available to both internal and external job applicants, throughout the process and at time of hire
- Establish written process for developing documented individual accommodation plans and returning employees to work following absence due to disability
- Take into account accessibility needs of employees when addressing performance management, career development / advancement, and redeployment
Click here for a more detailed summary of existing and upcoming compliance obligations.
Complimentary Breakfast Briefing: AODA Compliance Obligations – Mathews Dinsdale will be hosting a breakfast briefing on Tuesday, November 3 from 8:00 – 9:30am. Please register to attend this complimentary briefing either: In-person (Toronto Office) or via online webinar.
If you have any questions about this topic or any other questions relating to workplace law, please do not hesitate to contact a Mathews Dinsdale lawyer.
For more information on new developments in Workplace Law, please refer to our website at: http://www.mathewsdinsdale.com/news-events/in-a-flash/
Click here for downloadable version.